Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Making Lemonade AKA The Packer Pixie

When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. Or, in this case, when Purewool sends you two skeins of yarn that clearly aren't from the same dyelot, you make a hat instead of a pair of pants. I have been looking forward to making these "Packer pants" for a while now, so I was pretty bummed and a little ticked when the yarn wasn't a match and I wasn't sure what I was going to do.
As if on cue, a good friend of mine pointed out an adorable pattern to me, the LTK Giving Pixie Hat. Oh, the cuteness!!! And I could still make my little guy something to go with the nifty Packer onsie my mom got for him. I wasn't sure how the sizing would be and while the pattern was telling me I should probably go for a Medium, I went with the Small. I mean, this kid's head isn't that big. I then proceeded to knit to a smaller gauge. Brilliant. Soooooo... As soon as I was done knitting hat #1, I began hat #2. You live, you learn, you follow the directions...sometimes. Regardless, it was a pretty quick knit and pretty darn simple. Moving the stitch markers in and out of the work to do the decreases was kind of a pain, so after a few rounds I just pulled them out altogether and remembered where to decrease instead. It turned out great!

If we could just get him to keep it on his head... Notice how his father is holding his arms down in the first two pictures? Yeah. All of my hopes and dreams of Phinny being a baby hat model have been shattered.
And you will all (yes, all 5 of you) be shocked to hear I have started to work on Josh's socks again. I'm not sure what came over me, but I was digging through the yarn I haven't looked at in months and saw that sad, lonely, incomplete sock looking all pitiful. I couldn't just leave it there like that, so I found my double-point needles (hate those things) and got to work. Since I haven't worked on it in ages, the gauge is different from when I started, but it's just a sock and can't say I care too much. I have the ankle and heel completed and the foot started. I'm hoping to finish one tonight and start on the next one, but we'll see. I decided I don't like socks, even ones that knit up "quickly" with a worsted weight yarn, but I might change my mind for a non-solid yarn that has some pattern to it. It's always more fun to see how that type of stuff turns out. Oh, and when Josh came home and saw me working on said sock, I was laughed at. Yes, folks, laughed at. With an apology yet to be received, ownership of said sock is still pending. I hate to take this public, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
Oh, and sorry to those who have been sitting here for a month, hitting the refresh button, waiting for me to post pictures of the art smocks. I would've if I would've thought to take a picture, but it got pretty busy around here and they really weren't all that interesting. Maybe I'll take a picture of them at the end of the school year when they're covered in whatever they use in 1st grade art class. That should jazz it up some.
Well, Folks, that's all for this addition! I'll be back soon...I hope.

1 comment:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

He's just adorable, Jo! Thanks for showing us your latest creation. Can't wait to see what you whip up next!
xoxo
Donna